Original Equipment Manufacturing and Laser Diode Components and Power Supplies
With over 30 years of experience with diode laser technology, Laser Devices, Inc. is a primary source for original equipment manufacturers seeking to include state-of-the-art LASER technology into their products. In addition, LDI with its scale of economies and selection of vendors is an excellent source for laser components including power supplies, laser modules, lens assemblies, switch boards, switches and other electronic and optical components.
Design and Development for Other Original Equipment Manufacturers
Laser Devices provides paid engineering services to other manufacturers who wish to incorporate a laser into their products. Our experience with the handling and design packaging for semi-conductor lasers so that they will withstand extreme environmental conditions allow Laser Devices to efficiently design, develop and prototype custom laser assemblies for other product applications. Once LDI has prototyped a custom laser assembly it can supply sub-components or even complete laser assemblies for inclusion in the OEM’s product. Past design and development projects have included:
- Design of custom IR pointer modules for use with thermal viewers so that military and law enforcement personnel equipped with a thermal viewer can point out possible targets to other users who are equipped with night vision goggles. LDI manufactures and assembles lasers modules for inclusion into the thermal viewer.
- Development of a family of laser transmitters for use with laser-based marksmanship training systems. In this project, LDI designed and developed a family of laser-based transmitters for use with electronic targets. The development and prototyping process encompassed an entire family of products. Once the initial design and development phase of the project was completed, LDI has continued to serve as the manufacturer of these systems. To date, more than 80,000 systems have been assembled by LDI for its OEM partner.
- Design and initial production of laser modules for use in construction levels and surveying equipment.
- Design and initial production run of a laser-based vehicle alignment system.
- Design and development of a laser line generator for use in the construction industry.
- Developed and manufactured an aiming laser module for a less lethal stun gun.
LDI’s engineering department is staffed with a full compliment of engineers with specialized skills and knowledge that can solve difficult engineering issues. Key skill sets include the mechanical engineers who can assist in packaging the laser components into the smallest most durable laser module package possible. The focus on small robust packaging minimizes any modifications needed to the OEM product. LDI’s electrical engineers can design power supply circuits that will work a variety of input voltages and provide a regulated power supply for the laser. Past projects have emphasized the importance of maintaining a stable output power for the laser modules and efficient peaking of the various laser components. LDI’s optical engineers can assist in the design and development the optical lens assemblies needed to focus the laser to a point, or to otherwise shape the beam to meet the OEM customer’s requirements.
LDI uses thousands of laser diodes, diode modules, lens assemblies, switches, power supplies and other laser components in its production processes. As part of its manufacturing process, LDI independently tests each of these laser components for use in its products. Only the highest quality components are sourced by LDI for use in its law enforcement and military products. In addition, with its production volume, LDI is able to negotiate favorable pricing for these key components. This allows LDI to sell its proven components to other smaller manufacturers at competitive prices. Key assemblies that LDI may make available to other manufacturers include:
- Green Ultra Power Point™ diode modules. LDI’s green Ultra-Power Point laser modules are one of the most durable modules on the market. These modules are sourced from a leading supplier and tested by LDI to confirm that they meet exacting specifications. The superior thermal performance of the LDI Green Ultra-Power Point modules make them ideal for applications that require the superior visibility of a green laser point
- HT Quick Release Mount. The HT mount can be used to quickly attach and remove firearm accessories from a NATO/Picatinny equipped firearm. In addition, the HT mount will adapt to both oversized and undersized rails. The mount is crafted from anodized aerospace aluminum and stainless steel, will not corrode in the presence of salt water and is non-destructive to NATO/Picatinny rails. Testing indicates that the HT mount offers the same alignment retention as the most popular competing cam lever based mounting brackets
- Red Super Power Point™ diode modules. Many Laser Devices products include arguably the best packaged 635nm laser diodes available on the market today. LDI’s products use a variety of module sizes that can be configured for use in OEM products without redesign.
- Exit Windows and Lenses. LDI’s products use a variety of exit windows and lens assemblies that can be used to collimate a laser. Lens assemblies include single element and multi-element lenses depending upon requirements. All of LDI’s lenses and exit windows have the appropriate coatings needed to maximize the transmission of the laser light.
- Power Supply Circuits. LDI has designed and developed a number of state-of-the-art analog power supplies used to drive the laser diodes incorporated in its laser aiming devices. These power supplies are small enough to fit within the laser diode module, or can be wired remote from the laser diode depending upon the application. Key technical benefits include the ability to automatically peak the laser diode eliminating the need to use potentiometers or install and replace resistors on the board.
- Switch Assemblies. LDI manufactures one of the best remote cable pressure pad switches for use on its aiming lasers. LDI can supply the remote cable switch, connector and connector port for inclusion in OEM products that require remote activation using a pressure sensitive switch.
- Flashlight Heads, Lamps and Assemblies. LDI also supplies lamp assemblies, LED light heads and other flashlight parts for OEM applications. The LED based light heads are manufactured with the brightest, recoil-resistant LED illuminators available on the market. LDI’s reflectors have been designed to optimize the illumination produced by the light head.
LDI’s xenon lamp-based solutions offer a patented shock absorbing lamp and lamp head design that will allow LDI’s lighting components to be used in the most demanding environments. LDI’s xenon lamp based solutions can be used with an infrared tip-off filter to supply infrared based illumination for use with night vision.